Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Bed Bug Identification
Adult bed bugs are about ¼ inch long, oval, reddish-brown, and wingless. Their body is very flat, and they possess long, slender legs and antennae. They have segmented proboscis (beak) that extends outward when the bug feeds. When not feeding, the proboscis lies beneath the body and projects backwards. Immature bed bugs are known either as "larvae" or "nymphs." They closely resemble adults, but are smaller and less deeply pigmented.
There are a few things the home owner can do to inspect for bed bugs. Below is a few of the items you will need for your inspection.
The following is a list of items you will need to inspect for bed bugs:
1) A good flashlight to inspect crevices and cracks.
2) A thin blade spatula for scraping.
3) Screwdrivers for dismantling the bed and cover plates to electrical sockets etc.
4) A good magnifying glass
5) An inspection mirror
6) Carpet adhesive
7) Garbage bags for putting infected items into
8) Clear packing tape for samples and for sealing infected items in bags
9) A vacuum cleaner that can use filter bags
If you live in the Huntington WV area and think you may have bed bugs and would like a Free Bed Bug Inspection, feel free to contact me via email or phone 304-521-1174